It turned out that known people have been replaced by some duplicate persons, and this isn’t always the case, when a person suffers from Capgras syndrome.
Capgras syndrome is a mental disorder, which causes capgras delusion, also known as misidentification or often related to Alzheimer’s disease. People suffering from this syndrome think that their friends, things, and sometimes their pet animals are also replaced by aliens.
What causes Capgras Syndrome?
Capgras Syndrome is often associated with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease since both the disease affects the memory of a person. The exact cause of this syndrome is still a clue to the researchers and doctors, but a few theories have explained the symptoms of Capgras Syndrome. This syndrome occurs when there is a problem within the brain. Some studies state that it is caused due to the combination of physical and mental changes. This syndrome is often associated with Schizophrenia since it affects one’s reality and causes capgras delusion.
Dealing with Capgras Syndrome:
Frequent enough, Capgras Syndrome is associated with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. It becomes difficult to manage this syndrome. Capgras can leave a person lost and broken, as they cannot trust anyone. The effective treatment to come up with this syndrome is habilitation therapy, which creates a positive and welcoming environment. This creates a patient to feel secure and happy. The significant concepts of habilitation therapy are
- Entering into the reality of a person who is suffering from dementia.
- Arguments with the person should be avoided.
- Focus on bringing a positive environment, so that the patient trusts and recovers from this syndrome.
If you are dealing with a person who is suffering from Capgras Syndrome, you should treat them patiently and make them feel secure, and you become the key to the management.
How to care for a person if they are suffering from Syndrome?
Caring someone who is suffering from Capgras syndrome is not that easy as we all think. To help someone who is suffering from Capgras syndrome, the following methods can be adapted.
- They should enter the person’s reality whenever possible because this helps in understanding the person and know their terrifying experience.
- Make them feel safe and secured, this helps in building trust, and you can understand their needs.
- If you see someone suffering from Capgras syndrome, greet them loud, which will make them feel important and secured.
The bottom line:
It is essential to take care of your mental health because it helps to cope with anger and stress management.